Wednesday 22 August 2012

A Real Food Recipe: Grain-Free Strawberry Banana Muffins

I love going back to my parents place. It's a country side haven with a mountain view, fresh air and a huge home cinema where I obsessively watch The Mentalist series over and over. And dogs. Five of them actually. There's Che, Nicki, Macy, Harvey and Hershey. Harvey's my brothers dog, he's the most homeless looking dog I've ever seen. Hershey's mine, a gorgeous red/tan kelpie pup and it's a mini holiday for her too. But hey, fancy that, the most health conscious member of the family has the dog named after a sugar-filled treat. Yeah, fancy that.

But I'm side tracking here. The one thing I really do love about going to my parents (other than seeing them of course, duh) is their kitchen. It has everything. Classic gas stove, good working oven, pots and pans of every shape and size, cake tins, muffin tins, steamers, blenders, toasters, kettles - heck, I could go on forever. Compared to my humble kitchen in my little rented seaside abode, its heaven. So of course I made the most of it. I OWNED that kitchen for a solid 3-4 hours. Made myself some nice muffins and cakes. I did clean up my world class mess but I left the cake tins drying on the sink. Mum actually messaged me later that night - 'Whats with all the cake tins but no bloody cakes!!?'. Oops, sorry mum...

  Grain-Free Strawberry Banana Muffins

Photo not doing this any justice..

Organic Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup Coconut Flour
  • 1/4 cup Buckwheat, Hazelnut or Almond meal
  • A pinch of baking soda
  • A pinch of Pink Himalayan salt
  • 2 T Flax Meal
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 T coconut milk
  • 3 T coconut oil/butter
  • A dash of vanilla extract
  • 2 T raw honey
  • A handful of diced strawberries
  • 1 medium banana, mashed
  • Some cacao nibs (optional)
Turn the oven on to approx 180 degrees Celsius. Mix all wet ingredients (excluding strawberries and bananas) and whisk together in a bowl. Mix all dry ingredients in another bowl. Slowly add wet mixture to dry mixture and mix well. Fold in mashed banana and strawberries (and cacao nibs if you have them). Chuck the mix into a greased or lined muffin tray and pop in the oven for approximately 30 minutes or until browned. Eat them fresh from the oven or allow them to cool and enjoy for later. Delicious! They are great served with natural yogurt and serve as a great breakfast on the go.

You know I love my variations...
  • Use any berry in place of strawberry to change it up
  • Top the muffins with cinnamon - perfect finishing touch in my eyes
  • Actually who am I kidding. These taste way too good just the way they are!

1 comment: