Friday 17 August 2012

A Real Food Recipe: Coco-Choc Biscuits


I’ve always regarded myself as more of a ‘savoury’ tooth than a sweet tooth. I was that odd kid that didn’t eat the birthday cake.  Especially if it was chocolate cake. Ugh. But ice-cream cake, yes please! I never had the urge to buy, let alone make, baked treats. Muffins, slices, tarts, meringues, all those colourful sugar-coated treats at the nearest and dearest bakery just didn’t get me excited. Instead, just give me a packet of salty chips and I’m on my merry way.

 So you’d think I would be finding my new lifestyle pretty easy to adapt to now that I don’t eat grains or refined sugar (or any of that processed crap that is marketed as ‘food’. Ugh)?

Wrong! I’m now making baked goods more than I ever have done before. What the? Yeah, I’m confused too. But hey, you know that those delicious salty chips fall under the ‘processed crap’ category right? So if they’re out of the question, what’s a girl to do?! 

I read a quote somewhere that struck a chord – “Eat as much junk food as you like. Just as long as you make it yourself” – Unknown. Point noted, I’m making some real food ‘junk’!

Coco-choc biscuits
(grain-free, gluten-free)

Organic Ingredients:
  • ·        ¾ cup Coconut Flour
  • ·         1 fat pinch of Pink Himalayan Rock Salt
  • ·         A bit of Raw Coconut Sugar or Stevia powder (tweak to your tastes)
  • ·         ½ cup Coconut Butter/Oil or EVOO (or ¼ each), or butter
  • ·         1.5 cup Coconut or Almond milk
  • ·         6 Free Range or Organic Eggs
  • ·         A dash of Vanilla Essence
  • ·         Raw Organic Cacao nibs or Raw Chocolate of your choice

Turn the oven on to approx. 180 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper (I actually cooked some of mine in a mini muffin tray). Mix dry ingredients in mixing bowl (except cacao nibs). Mix all wet ingredients in another bowl and use a hand held mixer to blend ingredients well (or you could do this in a food processor). Once blended, add dry ingredient mix and blend again. Pour in cacao nibs and stir through with a spoon. Heap mixture onto trays and pop in the oven for about 20 minutes or until browned.

This made approximately 24 mini muffin size plus 2 large cookies for me. How many you get is really up to how big you make them.

If you're like me and like them to be a little moist, just add more coconut or almond milk. Remember, a small bit of coconut flour goes a long way!

I'm going to play around with some variations so keep tuned on my successes and failures. Lets just hope there's more of the former...

No comments:

Post a Comment